Salt of the Earth package
After a first day at Madi a Thavha Mountain Lodge, this trip starts at Elim and surrounding villages on the second day to experience traditional village life, local markets and the workshops of wood carvers, textile artists, potters and instrument makers. It includes a pick-nick lunch at Thomas Kubayi’s workshop. The next day a 3 day trip to Gyani and surrounding village starts. This area is home to the colourful and highly artistic Tsonga people. Visits to Johannes Maswanganyi, Mapuve pottery, and Mtititi Magic introduce visitors to beautiful woodcraft, ceramics and textile and bead works. The evening will be spend at the Baleni Ivory route camp. This camp has basic facilities, traditional sleeping huts and communal hot water showers. After sunset, a braai is prepared by the Madi a Thavha tour guide and the women from the nearby village show their traditional dances. The next day includes a visit to Thomo, where Rich Mabunda unveils some secrets of traditional life, by making a village walk, visiting homesteads of the Tsonga people and experiencing a traditional meal. In the course of the afternoon a drive takes visitors back to Baleni Ivory route camp, where the sounds of the bush and the African sky can be enjoyed for a second night. The next day, the local saltworks will be visited. This is a special place where women make salt by putting water in natural filters while performing their rituals. After this, visitors will leave the camp and the trip continues to the Muti wa Vatsonga Open Air Museum. The last activity is a visit to workshop of the Kaross weavers near Letsitele. A nice lunch under the trees is included. From Letsitile the trip returns to Madi a Thavha Mountain Lodge.
This package includes:
- Welcome drink and snacks.
- Guided visit to the Dancing Fish Gallery and Exhibition centre at Madi a Thavha.
- 3 nights stay at Madi a Thavha Mountain Lodge based on dinner, bed and breakfast.
- Guided day trip including transport and pick-nick lunch to Elim and surrounding (day 2).
- 3 days trip including tour guide / cook to Baleni Ivory Route camp, visiting artists and crafters around Gyani, traditional salt winning, Tsonga Kraal, Kaross Weavers (day 3-5).
- Cultural performance at Baleni Ivory Route camp.
- 2 night stay at Baleni Ivory Route Camp, evening braai / meal, breakfasts and pick-nick lunches included.
- Lunch at Kaross Weavers in Letsitile (day 5).
Rates Salt of the Earth package (6 days):
Transport – accommodation – tour guide – catering
2 pax per person – valid until 31/10/2014
|Rates on request|